Welcome to WGM Design
architecture and building – design excellence
Starting in Architecture in 1970, the first incarnation of WGM Design arrived in 1975 as WGM Design Partnership and continued until 1986 when the partnership was dropped and we became “WGM Design”, a boutique design studio servicing the residential, retail and commercial worlds of Architecture.
Over the life of WGM Design, the studio continued to service the residential, retail and small commercial fields specialising in Retail Design, as well as contracting our services out to the broader Architectural world, which is where I spent the majority of my time in latter years.
We are now located in the beautiful Lake Macquarie area 1.5 hrs north of Sydney and a short 40 mins to Newcastle CBD. – Live the Life Love the Lake – where we have re-established our design studio to service both the private and business community with our knowledge and expertise.
We are dedicated to giving our clients what they want, with excellence in design outcomes, high quality documentation, prompt and personal service.Our expertise covers all aspects of concept design, documentation, construction design and detailing, with our primary design expertise centering around:
We also have significant experience in other building types including:
- retail malls
- social housing
- tourism & hospitality
- Commonwealth and State government projects
My personal skills and expertise are in the areas of:
- design & documentation – expert in construction design and documentation and love this aspect of my profession. This is the field I was sought after for and where I gained my most valuable learning from.
- site supervision – acting as project architect to supervise project on site in the interest of the client, ensure conformity to project brief, on site problem solving with builder/developer.
- project management – manage the project including document control and delivery, cost management, team leader/management, consultant co-ordination, client relationship/management.
- construction problem solving – experienced in solving those unforeseen construction issues on site that pose real cost issue for clients and developers, generally in collaboration with structural engineer and other project consultants.
- documentation check /services co-ordination – experienced in checking documentation for accuracy, errors, and most importantly, build-ability. Do they do the job they are required to do, can I build the building from them, can I set the building out on site etc. Checking/co-ordination of all consultant documents against Architecturals for errors and conflicts.
- consultant co-ordination – manage the project consultant team, manage and run weekly project meetings, review consultant document progress, assess progress claims etc.
- mentor – mentoring young graduate Architects within the organisation (Group GSA), to impart some of my knowledge and experience onto the new generation of Architects. An invaluable role for all of us.
- project fee proposals - proposals for D & C and full Architectural service for major projects up to $500 mil including, scope of service, manning schedules, project delivery methodology etc.
- business mentoring program – have assisted many retail businesses over the years and am now specialising in assisting the new business entrepreneur in starting a new business, focusing on the retail industry.
- project programming and resourcing – team selection for major projects, (up to 20 team members) producing project programming schedules including all deliverables, drawing schedules
- people skills - innate ability to “get on” with people across all levels from student architects to CEO’s, have gained significant experience in managing large project teams with diversified backgrounds.
Although we love all aspects of Architecture and design, we specialise in RETAIL DESIGN including consulting services to assist and advise existing businesses and Shopping Centre Managers through what could only be called difficult times.
So, with my years of experience in the Architecture and Building industry, many of them spent designing specialty retail businesses, we are in a unique position of providing expert planning, design, business operation and branding advice with a strong ongoing commitment to assist new and existing retail businesses.